Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cambodia > Siem Reap (Angkor Wa.t)

Hi cotters,
    I'm going to Cambodia this December, to Poipet and Siem Reap. Any nice things to buy from there?

Cambodia > Siem Reap (Angkor Wa.t)

HI!

Will be going there for the public holiday week in November. Wondering if any one has been there before and has any tips and advice?

TIA!

Comment

Hi I was there Dec last year and it was really good! Amazingly cheap. Stayed at a guesthouse for only US$3 a night. Fan only, but the weather was v cool... the Cambodians think it's too cold!
      Angkor itself is awesome... don't forget to catch the sunrise and sunset. Biking is the cheapest way to get around, but it can get blazingly hot in the afternoon.
      Food is excellent... do go to the local (not the other tourist one)market and try all the small breakfast bowls and tidbits. At night, the streetstalls along the road near the tourist market sell eggy, fruity desserts and fruitshakes. Delicious! Oh and do try the fried spiders... they taste fabulous once you get over the 'ick' factor.
      And don't worry about safety...its completely safe, just be prudent as per usual! Have a good trip!

Comment

I read that we need a Visa to go to Cambodia? How much do we need to pay for the Visa. And also, other than Silkair, which airlines fly into Siem Reap direct? TIA!

Comment

well u need a visa there.. how much i not sure.. not as for now, only silk air fly... last time cambodia air do fly but now cease service already.

Comment

the visa costs US$20... can get it done at the Embassy at Gateway East... near Beach Road

Comment

Thanks so much yokozuna. Did you do a free and easy? Which guesthouse did you stay in? How's transportation from airport to hotel and vice versa? Am thinking of going there next month or so.

Will it be easier or cheaper if I get a travel agent to do all my flight arrangements and visa for me, then doing it myself?

Comment

Hi artichoke. Yup I did it free and easy... actually I didn't fly direct to Siem Reap, I took a budget airline to Bangkok, then a bus to the border at Aranyaprathet. Crossed the border on foot, and got a hired car which we arranged with our guesthouse. Cost us 1200Baht -- frigging rip-off. On hindsight, should have just hopped onto a public bus. It was a REALLY bumpy ride.... v fun and exciting at first. For the first time I felt my boobs hurt coz of the jerkiness! The roads are known to be one of the worst in the world!
                So, anyway, this saved me over S$100 instead of flying direct to SR. I don't think it's for everyone though. If you fly direct, just arrange with the hotels or guesthouses that offer free transport to and fro.
                I stayed at Jasmine Guesthouse... family-run place. It was alright. But I felt a little sad when I passed all the seriously opulent hotels!

Comment

Can't remember, but I think Sg passport holders do not need visa cos we are part of the ASEAN? I don't recall the travel agent asking me for details to process the visa. In the end, I didn't get to go due to some family matters, but my foreign friends who went ahead told me you can get the visa at the Cambodian airport itself (they process it on the spot), and it was US$20 then.

Comment

singaporean requires visa to get into cambodia. just been there in june. it was freaking HOT during that period, Nov will be a better choice to go there. Fly to Bangkok and take bus but its going to be a long journey, alternatively take Bangkok Airways from Bangkok cost about 200USD. You can find a lot of family run guest house to grossly opulent hotel. Its your pick and choice, ranging from dirt cheap 2 dollars to 100++ USD per night. Hope this help.

Comment

WEF jan 2006, singaporeans don'e need visa to enter cambodia *_* i just called up the C embassy in S'p and they confirmed it :p

Comment

Urgh why not in December! Jetstar's ticket to Siem Reap is only $331, excluding US$25 tax from Siem Reap airport.

Comment

331 is ex *gasp*
                          how about try taking a bus to KL and fly from there? it'll add up to 200rm max

Comment

Just asking around:

Is anyone interested in going to Cambodia with me? I'm thinking about some time next year, before it gets too hot.

Comment

Air Asia is giving free tickets to Siem Reap from KL, only need to pay RM148 for taxes.

Comment

Working...
                              X