Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plus-Size Bride -Woes

I'm a 2005/6 Bride.

Definitely will strive hard to lose tonnes between this period.

However, if I do not manage to succeed, I would like to know where can I get Plus-Size Gowns?
    Plus-Size as in US Size 24/ 3X kinda size.

Anyone knows the webby or have any pics / info, kindly share~

Next, I would like to know, usually how much do u have to save/prepare before planning for a wedding?

The marriage is the ROM which is only a few hundred bucks right?

I have no elder siblings to seek advice from.

Pls help~

Thanks alot~!

Hi Annabelle,

http://www.davidsbridal.com/index.jsp carries large sizes, there are tonnes more sites u can get info on gown designs from. Actually u'll prob be going to a bridal studio right ? so can just ask them to Make to measure (MTM) a gown for u...no probs at all

yes, ROM is cheap cheap...

and the cost of a wedding in general is dependent on your expectations as well....how lavish or simple you want it to be. Probably good for u to sit down with your FH to discuss the monies and then work something out that's comfortable for the 2 of u....

Comment

Alot of US bridal magazines has sections especially for plus sized brides. If you go to borders etc, you should be able to see such mags on their racks.

Comment

Hi Annabelle!

My recommendation would be to get a made to measure gown.

But it's also good to be able to try on plus-size gowns to get a sense of what looks good on you.

I remember that Debenhams at the megamall Times Square (can't remember if that's what it's called, exactly), KL, had a selection of bridal gowns and I think they went up to AT LEAST UK20. You might want to call and confirm first, unless you happen to be going to KL anyway. I was last there in Jan.

The cost of your wedding depends entirely on you. I had a wedding for $7K, but mine was simple -- just church ceremony and reception. No banquet, no studio pix.

HTH!

Comment

Thanks gals for the info.
          I'm getting a clearer picture of what are the costs/procedures.

Not only on Gowns...
          I have many concerns.

Money--Getting Ready
          Do i need to get ready the whole amt for the wedding banquet?
          Or Do i just add in the Estimated Loss amt for the banquet?
          -If i need to get the whole sum ready, i guess the money we have now... only can do the banquet LOL
          But anyway, the Ang Baos can recuperate some of the Real Costs right?

Wedding Costs (My own version)
          1. Customary + Wedding Banquet
          (Real Amt or Loss Amt that needs to be top-up with AngBao money)
          It's gonna be a simple resturant dinner that costs abt 500 per table. *** be inviting 15 tables of guests.
          Real Cost: 500*15=7500
          Est Loss:7500-(for my father's 500*6tables=3000)-AngBaos from the others(80*40=3200)=LOSS of 1300

>>>My main concern the banquet's money.. what do i need to standby? The real cost or the est. loss??
          >>>My est cost for LOSS is it practical?
          >>>For customary, not much cost right? Only the AngBaos?

2. Bridal Studio for Photography of Studio/Outdoor
          (Inclusive of Gowns, Suits, Cars, Photography, Hair, Make-up, Flowers)
          I need MTM gowns, but i dun need to keep them. =)

>>>How much does it cost approximately?
          >>>Usually for these packages, do they include videotaking/phototaking during the Wedding Day? Or most is for Studio/Outdoor Shoots only? I'm confused.
          >>>So does that mean I need to engage a photographer/video?

3. ROM + Reception after that
          (Some tea reception/dim sum lunch after that.)
          it *** cost ard 100 for ROM, reception perhaps 200 cos not many pple will be attending

>>>*** be no concerns. Any pointers/additional cost to take note?

4. Cakes/Invites
          (Money for giving out cakes/invites)
          Not inviting many pple, say abt 20hseholds for cakes = 200, Invites i duno how much but say, 3each*50=150

>>>Is that enough/realistic?

5. Honeymoon

Well, this one i dun wan to count it in cos havent decide on destination or watsoever... only to be decided once those inevitable costs is up. Haha

6. Photography/Video-taking for Banquet day
          >>>Concerned~! Is this inclusive in the wedding packages by those studios??
          >>>I guess not. So pls let me know how much it cost on average. Thanks.

Well, the abv are my concerns right now.
          Pls help~!

7.To add, For Gowns/Dresses how many is enough?
          ROM will be abt 1 mth ahead of Banquet/Customary.
          So, do I use Gown A for ROM, Gown A for Customary's Daytime, Gown B for Banquet?

8.Then for the studio/o.door shoots, I'll be wearing those 2 gowns I made for my wedding? Or will there be additional gowns for me to change?
          Usually pple take their photos in many diff costumes isnt it?

Thanks alot~!

Comment

Hiya,

My best friend was a plus size bride last yr n I was her bridesmaid She is a UK18

She told me she went to a lot of places in Delfi who claimed that they stock up on plus size gowns. I can't r'ber if she says the sizes r not really big, or that they have limited chocies.

Anyway, she custom made her wedding gown and evening gown from Jawn Happily Ever After at Meradian Hotel. The designer Susan, is also a plus size gal, who is really really cheerful n gave my best friend lots of advices on her big day.

Don't have to purposely slim down for your wedding day or u will look like a different person. For my best friend, during the last fiting, the gown was still quite tight. But on the actual day, it was in fact a bit loose.

Congras to u on your up coming wedding!

Comment

Money--Getting Ready
              Do i need to get ready the whole amt for the wedding banquet?
              Or Do i just add in the Estimated Loss amt for the banquet?
              -If i need to get the whole sum ready, i guess the money we have now... only can do the banquet LOL
              But anyway, the Ang Baos can recuperate some of the Real Costs right?
              Yes, the red packets will help 'recover' your 'losses', in fact, if you invite the right guests, you may even end up 'profitting' from it. Best to be prepared to 'lose' 50% of total cost of banquet, its definitely safe. In most cases when the couple ends up having to fork out from their own pocket for the banquet, it usually doesn't exceed 20% (for regular banquets).
              Alot of couples use the day's red packets to pay for banquet in cash, so no need to worry about preparing so much cash. Or you could sign with credit card(and earn points!) for convenience (remmeber to put the $ aside for following month's payment of course.)

Wedding Costs (My own version)
              1. Customary + Wedding Banquet
              (Real Amt or Loss Amt that needs to be top-up with AngBao money)
              It's gonna be a simple resturant dinner that costs abt 500 per table. *** be inviting 15 tables of guests.
              Real Cost: 500*15=7500
              Est Loss:7500-(for my father's 500*6tables=3000)-AngBaos from the others(80*40=3200)=LOSS of 1300

>>>My main concern the banquet's money.. what do i need to standby? The real cost or the est. loss??
              >>>My est cost for LOSS is it practical?
              >>>For customary, not much cost right? Only the AngBaos?
              Answer as above.

2. Bridal Studio for Photography of Studio/Outdoor
              (Inclusive of Gowns, Suits, Cars, Photography, Hair, Make-up, Flowers)
              I need MTM gowns, but i dun need to keep them. =)

>>>How much does it cost approximately?
              >>>Usually for these packages, do they include videotaking/phototaking during the Wedding Day? Or most is for Studio/Outdoor Shoots only? I'm confused.
              >>>So does that mean I need to engage a photographer/video?
              Depends greatly on where you go, what you need and how much you can do without. Different packages also includes differnt things, you can remove/add in what you need to your package accordingly. If you buy a complete packge (that includes everything) from one bridal shop, you'll definitely have greater bargaining power. To get an estimate, why not call up a few bridal shops for phone/emailquotations?

3. ROM + Reception after that
              (Some tea reception/dim sum lunch after that.)
              it *** cost ard 100 for ROM, reception perhaps 200 cos not many pple will be attending

>>>*** be no concerns. Any pointers/additional cost to take note?

4. Cakes/Invites
              (Money for giving out cakes/invites)
              Not inviting many pple, say abt 20hseholds for cakes = 200, Invites i duno how much but say, 3each*50=150
              >>>Is that enough/realistic?
              The hotel/restaurant that you're holding your banquet with will usually sit down with you and discuss how much cakes/invites you need to give out (provided you use theirs of course.)

5. Honeymoon

Well, this one i dun wan to count it in cos havent decide on destination or watsoever... only to be decided once those inevitable costs is up. Haha

6. Photography/Video-taking for Banquet day
              >>>Concerned~! Is this inclusive in the wedding packages by those studios??
              >>>I guess not. So pls let me know how much it cost on average. Thanks.
              Yes, it can be included. Or if you want ala-carte, prices ranges from $500 to 2K or more, depending on who you engage and what's in the deal. If you're really tight, why not consider DIY?

7.To add, For Gowns/Dresses how many is enough?
              ROM will be abt 1 mth ahead of Banquet/Customary.
              So, do I use Gown A for ROM, Gown A for Customary's Daytime, Gown B for Banquet?
              Its entirely up to you, no fixed 'rule'.

8.Then for the studio/o.door shoots, I'll be wearing those 2 gowns I made for my wedding? Or will there be additional gowns for me to change?
              Usually pple take their photos in many diff costumes isnt it?
              Again, depends on your package, but even basic packages should give you a couple of changes of clothes and not just the pieces you're wearing on actual day.

Comment

AhCapp,

thanks for the infomation.

By the way, how much did your fren pay for the MTM gown?

Thanks.

mango,

thanks alot for answering my woes.
                Hehe. It's really nice of you to answer one by one so patiently.

Comment

Hi annabelle,
                  I dropped by allure chaurix yesterday to pick up my WG. I went through the racks again, they have one really pretty rack corner for plus sizes. It was quite pretty, so much so I was like, can I try this? But then, annah, the lady there told me, this section is plus sizes. U might wanna check it out. It's not MTM though, they are more like a boutique, selling gowns. costs around 600 which to me, is really a very reasonable price for a gown. u might wanna check it out. HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by cefindre
                    Hi annabelle,
                    I dropped by allure chaurix yesterday to pick up my WG. I went through the racks again, they have one really pretty rack corner for plus sizes. It was quite pretty, so much so I was like, can I try this? But then, annah, the lady there told me, this section is plus sizes. U might wanna check it out. It's not MTM though, they are more like a boutique, selling gowns. costs around 600 which to me, is really a very reasonable price for a gown. u might wanna check it out. HTH.
                    hi cefindre~

thanks~

but where's allure chaurix? *hee*
                    i wonder how plus the sizes are.. do u have their number as well?

Thanks alot~ =)

Comment

Hi annabelle,
                      here's their website link. It's got picts of some gowns in there as well as their contact add/phone number. HTH!

http://www.allurecharix.com/main.htm

Comment

Originally posted by cefindre
                        Hi annabelle,
                        here's their website link. It's got picts of some gowns in there as well as their contact add/phone number. HTH!

http://www.allurecharix.com/main.htm
                        Thankssssss so much!~

Comment

[QUOTE][size=1]Originally posted by annabelle
                          AhCapp,

thanks for the infomation.

By the way, how much did your fren pay for the MTM gown?

Thanks.

Hiya,

Sorry it took me so long to reply but been pretty "inactive" at this forum lately. I think the whole package for her MTM wedding gown and evening gown, groom's suit, photo shot is about S$4K. Both gowns cannot keep. Sorry but i can't really r'ber about the other things which is in the package. Will check /w her next week. =)

The reason she went to Jawn After Ever After was bc she saw pretty good reviews about the designer, Susan, who can design plus-size gowns for plus-size brides. I have met Susan b4, she is a plus-size lady, who is really cute. Perhaps that's y she knows what problems a plus-size bride face when she is looking for a gown. Do drop by to see what they have to offer.

I am going to be a 2006 bride too, but I m still lazing around.

Comment

AhCapp,

I posted in Brides-to-be, I signed up with Universal (@ Toa Payoh)
                            The package cost near 4k too. Cant keep too.

Tho mine also include ROM Gown MTM, only tea dress is OTR.

So do u intend to have banquet?
                            I still in a dilemma.

Comment

Hi Annabelle,

Yupe, I want to have a banquet.

My reason is that I only get to wear a wedding gown and be pretty once in a life-time. The banquet is also the only chance where my family and my friends can see me in a wedding gown. I know the hassle and the trouble it is to have a wedding banquet. My best friend said the guest-list was bad enough to make her cry! (bc both her mother and her mother-in-law kept on adding or changing their minds about the guests they want to invite)

I don't want to big wedding banquet, just a small one will do So my husband-to-be n I will will look for hotels that only require about 20+ tables as minimum.

Right now, the only thing we have done is going to those wedding shows at the hotels. Went to the one at Shangri-la a few weeks ago. Booked the one at Fullerton on Aug1. Just saw one at the M Hotel on Aug 7 in today's straits times. But all these r for my research bc I still don't know which date in 2006 I am going to be getting married! hahahahhaha

Have your parents and his parents met up yet? Do u know when is the right time? I am pretty blur. FYI, not yet for our parents. Bc my father is out of town, and will only be back in sg end of the yr. I think that will be the best time to tell him about his daughter is getting married

Comment

Working...
                              X