Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mil

was talking to my colleague the other day and we were talking about MIL

when you gals get married, how do you address your MIL? do you call her mother? i think i will find it weird to call my SO's mum 'mummy' (what i call my own mum)

I address my MIL as "mummy" cos she prefers it that way. I feels strange initially cos like you, that is how I address my own mum. But you will get used to it

Comment

I call my MIL 'Mother', I call my own mum 'Ma'. Initially I was also fretting a little cause I thought I'll never get used to it, but very soon after I got very used to calling her 'Mother'. Don't worry, just do it anyway and it'll soon be very natural for you.

Comment

Hahaha ... it certainly felt weird in the beginning. But now, 10 months later, I can't think of calling her any other way

Comment

I usually call my MIL - mommi same as my own mum.

but because i cannot get along with my MIL...each time when i greet her, my hairs will stand on its end. :booty:

Comment

I address my inlaws as BaBa n Mummy. That's how my hubby addresses them and he address my parents BaBa n MaMa, the way I do!

Begining I do slip and call them Uncle and Auntie Hahahahahah...now its very natural ***.....

Comment

do u gals start calling your in-laws Father and Mother after ROM or after customary?

i cant imagine myself calling them "father and Mother" Feel so weird. i think i would naturally call them uncle aunty..and then "oops". Somemore I am not that close to them.

Comment

yeah thats a question me and my colleague were talking about too

i'm not ROM-ed yet but just wondering

Comment

Originally posted by tiemmie
                  do u gals start calling your in-laws Father and Mother after ROM or after customary?
                  For me, it was immediately after ROM To us, we are officially married so why not? In fact, I feel that this new way of addressing them brought us closer too

Comment

the thought of it sounds funny to me..
                    i'm going to have my solemnisation this September..

imagine the minute before.. i call them uncle & aunty.. and after sign paper.. call them father mother..

*grins* i think i will slip my tongue and call them uncle & aunty.. *haizz*

Comment

I address both my own mom and mil as 'mummy'.

Sometimes when we are all together, I confuse them because I will shout 'mummy' and both will response

But with my own mom, my hubby and I give her several nicknames and my hubby loves calling her by her nicknames (yes, they are very close).

I have no ROM, just one wedding date and on that day, I kept calling mil 'auntie'. I think this happened to alot of people. But, if you don't think much about it, one can easily get use to it.

BTW, my sis calls her mil 'mum' which I thought is pretty cool too.

Comment

i cant imagine myself calling them "father and Mother" Feel so weird. i think i would naturally call them uncle aunty..and then "oops". Somemore I am not that close to them.
                        Of course after ROM, since after being registered we're already considered husband and wife? Feeling weird is natural, you'll soon get used to it. As for not being close to them, you'll naturally have more chances to know them better and get closer after you're married.

Comment

My ROM n customary is on the same day. But my inlaws hint to me to call them before that....heeheh i refuse! so my first BaBa n Mummy was uttered during tea ceremony!

Comment

Same here!! I onlyaddress them as ba and Mother only during the tea ceremony. Actually i'm still not used to calling my MIL We get along well but its just not the same.....guess i just need more time

Comment

imagine the minute before.. i call them uncle & aunty.. and after sign paper.. call them father mother..
                              Don't you think that makes the entire experience all the more meaningful? After the solemnisation, all of you acknowledge one another as family

I must admit that I felt strange addressing my ILs as father and mummy after ROM, in fact whenever I call my hubby, I pray that mil will not pick up the phone!

Comment

Working...
                              X