taking on husband's name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taking on husband's name

watched friends the other day and there was this episode on phoebe changing her name to take on mike's name

so my question here to the ladies who have gotten married, do you take on your husband's name? if so, do you actually have to go somewhere (i.e. immigration?) to change the name on your IC? e.g. SO's surname is lim, so does it mean after we ROM and i want to take his surname, i have to go change it on my IC??

just wondering, i'm a bit crazy so just humour me

I didn't change my name. Couldn't be bothered with the fuss and expense.

Comment

lumos its up to you. you can choose to

1) retain your name and be known as MDM lu lumos (assuming your surname is lu)

2) add your husband's name to yours and be know as Lu lumos @mrs lim hubby

3) double barrel name Lim Lu lumos (i think nowadays double barrel name is on a case to case basis, correct me if I am wrong)

4) Change your surname entirely and be known as Lumos Lim

For change of names, you defintely need to change your IC and passport.

Comment

I didnt change my name legally (as in on NRIC and all), but I did adopt my hub's family name when I fill out forms and all. The family name I use on some of my credit cards are also hubby's.

Comment

i didnt bother with the hassle of doing so...

I think its more of a personal preference rather than a complusory thing to do when you get married

Hope it helps..

Comment

I didn't bother either. It sounds so weird to change my name, or be known as Mrs Lim. Mdm Tan sounds oldish. So I kept to my original name

No offence to anyone, but doesn't double-barrel surnames sound passe?

Comment

Never bothered to change.

For no other reason other than vanity, I don't even respond to Mdm XXX or Mrs XXX.

30 years into the marriage, I'll still be Miss! hahahaha

Comment

hehe this was just a question in my mind after the friends episode so i was just wondering do people even do this nowadays

i dont think i want to be called mrs lim ever, even SO doesnt want that cos he says it reminds him of his mother

Comment

there is a pretentious woman at my workplace who recently got married and adopted a double-barrelled surname (like Caroline Bessett Kennedy, without the hyphen thank you very much!) AND... dropped her Chinese dialect name. can you imagine!

Comment

Originally posted by nywoe
                    there is a pretentious woman at my workplace who recently got married and adopted a double-barrelled surname (like Caroline Bessett Kennedy, without the hyphen thank you very much!) AND... dropped her Chinese dialect name. can you imagine!
                    thats abit.... okie .. veri pretentious...

Comment

Dont mind me, I'm just curious- why is it pretentious? Maybe she wants to adopt her hubby's family name but just doesnt want to drop her own? As for dropping her dialect name, my guess is that perhaps she find the entire string of name too long (I mean, since few people address others by their dialect name these days anyway)?

Comment

mango: perhaps i am biased. you have to work with this person to fully appreciate the trauma we go through every day!

also, i am non-Chinese and have an extremely long name myself (over 20 characters in all), so i don't really see the long name logic.

Comment

For me, I am still using my own name. My hubby doesn't have a problem with it and in fact, he encouraged me to just keep to my maiden name. He say a name is just a name, he doesn't see the need for me to adopt his unless I really want to.

Originally posted by mango
                          I didnt change my name legally (as in on NRIC and all), but I did adopt my hub's family name when I fill out forms and all. The family name I use on some of my credit cards are also hubby's.
                          Hey Chris, just curious... are we allowed to us hubby's family name on forms and credit cards since it is "not our name" in the sense that there are no official documents to show proof that the applicant/card holder is us. (unless marriage certificates are used to proof our identities )

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie

Hey Chris, just curious... are we allowed to us hubby's family name on forms and credit cards since it is "not our name" in the sense that there are no official documents to show proof that the applicant/card holder is us. (unless marriage certificates are used to proof our identities )
                            I've been doing this for the past 2 years and so far so good. Most (if not all) mailers sent to me are addressed this way. As for credit card, I dont think they really care what name you put on it, cause if you notice, the application for credit cards always has a seperate section that asks you what name you would like to have displayed on the card itself. Actually you do have a point- I have no idea why is it okay to have completely different names too.

Comment

regarding the credit card issue .. what I understand from some friends is that they dun really pay attention to names that we use .. so long the IC number is correct ..

thats complusory on every application rite? So the names that you used isnt really important except to yourself ...

Hope this helps ...

(PS: Jokes: Anyway, no matter what names you used, at the end of the day, u have to pay in full, no? : P )

Comment

Working...
                              X